Three Short Poems of No Import Whatsoever

 GHOSTS


I pick up the heavy receiver before the phone rings

and place my hand over the mouthpiece when a voice calls from the living room, 


Who is it? 


A ghost, I respond.


Listening in wonder through intermittent static, I gently whisper:

What do you want me to do?


An insistent, tender reply, with clarity: I just want to fuck you.


But when will he reach out to touch my cheek?


*****


GRIEF


Don’t mind me,

The pouting mute slumped against the wall–

Ever the interloper.


I did see the dead baby, wordlessly passed between mother/father, hastily swaddled in a cheerful yellow flannel borrowed from a beloved euthanized pet


I’m invisible here, too: a nobody.


Don’t look,

Don’t touch!


I didn’t recognize him anyway,

but for my mother,

holding out his gold wedding band in a long white envelope.


*****


INTERCEPTION


Can I please enjoy one cigarette, please?


My daughter bursts through the back door, sprinting toward me with the ferocity of a diminutive public health inspector,


Her hypervigilance rivaling only the dog’s

And of course, my own: every neuron singing, at attention

In anticipation of impending overwhelming distress.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beth Takes Her First Drink and We All Yawn

Pharmaceutica: HEROES GIVE HAPPY ENDINGS

Getting to Know Mother Russia, Then and Now